Thursday 3 February 2011

A New Era Begins

And so, as most of you (especially those of you who saw me in Durham last week) will have worked out by now, I am no longer in Russia. Nor am I planning on returning, at least not for the next year or so. My plans for the rest of my Year Abroad read like this:

3rd February - 31st May: British Council Language Assistantship in Vienna.

5th - 26th September: Language Course in Bamberg

The sharp-eyed amongst you will have noticed that my British Council Language Assistantship actually begins today. Yes, that's right, in approximately 14 hours' time I will be sitting on a plane on the way to Vienna where a week of frivolity and sightseeing awaits before I begin teaching on 14th February. Currently I have very little clue what I will be teaching (other than the obvious - English) to whom so hopefully my meeting with one of my Betreuungslehrerinnen (teachers in charge of looking after me), Betty, on Friday (that would be tomorrow then...) will enlighten me somewhat. I do know that I am teaching at two schools, the BRG Fichtnergasse, which is a state Gymnasium, the German and Austrian equivalent of our old grammar schools, and the Schule St. Ursusla, which is also a Gymnasium, but a private Catholic one. Hopefully I won't be asked any awkward questions about my religion....

After a long session of online flat-hunting, involving many complicated e-mails, Skype conversations and rejections, I have finally found somewhere to live for my four months in Vienna. I'll be living in the 7. Bezirk, which is quite close to the centre, the student district, and...the red-light district... But it's near where I stayed last time I was in Vienna, and despite the numerous sex shops, it's a nice enough area. Plus it comes equipped with double bed, piano and friendly roommate, Charlotte, who has already promised to show me around the city. Wish me luck!

(Note - I will be continuing to document my travels from this blog, at the same address, however I am trying to think of a new title for the title bar. Suggestions welcome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment